Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not the post I meant to write.

Often during the day I think about what I will blog about, and usually have a pretty clear outline ready when I get home. All day today I planned a post about retired white man entitlement in the service industry. All fucking day. And then, at the end of my shift, I overheard this:

"Sometime, in certain company, I am ashamed by the colour of my skin."

And instead I decided to say this:

The struggle to end racism cannot only be the struggle of people affected by it. In order for racism to end, actually end (as in: no one is affected by the colour of their skin, their accent, their hair, etc in any way, ever, and especially not negatively) it must be a struggle that we all participate in. Just because you might be white or present as white or pass as white does not mean you are not involved. Do not be complicit in racist behavior: if you see something going on that is racist, and you don't do anything other than watch, you are allowing it to happen. Be aware of white privilege. Think about how being white allows you to move through certain spaces, or to say certain things (or not say certain things). Do not feel shame or guilt (these are not useful), but think differently about how you interact with others, and about what it might mean to not have white privilege. Do not ever use your privilege to hurt anyone, to disempower anyone. Do not lord it over anyone. These actions, which happen all the time, unconsciously, are racist.

Was this preachy? I hope so. Was this the post I meant to write? Not at all. It is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment